I'm not sure if any of you remember, but a little over a year ago we rescued a 2yr old Malamute named Takani from Freecycle.org . He was a handful for us... always chasing the cats, very alpha and ALWAYS had to be leashed. He could leap any size fence. A nice couple in Gerrardstown tried to take him in, but he turned out to be too much for them to handle.
A neighbor up the hill tried to make him hers and he not only escaped her fenced in back yard, but he bit another neighbors Daschund. (It was the doxies fault). Needless to say really, but he got returned again. I thought for sure, this dog would never get placed.
Low and behold a nice couple from down in Fort Valley responded to my ad. They had an elderly Mal and thought getting a new and younger one would ease the pain of their beloved Trooper when he eventually passed. Trooper would also assist in the training of the new guy.
Steve and I drove him all the way there and that day became the first day of the rest of Buddy's life..... So we thought!
Unfortunately, Buddy screwed that up. Apparently, he not only chases their horses, but attacked one of them. He's bitten the owner several times and just recently he caused a friend visiting them to get 15 stitches. AND, to top all that off, he's not even a Malamute..... he's a husky.
I didn't know. I was only going on what I was told when I rescued him. Apparently Huskies have a different temperament and aren't good in multiple dog homes, or around small animals that run...... or people who try to stop them from bad behavior.
So, today is a sad sad day. Today, Takani/Buddy goes to Rainbows Bridge. This evening he'll be put to sleep. After a year of working with him and having him consistently try to destroy everything and everyone around him, he's no longer safe to have around.
I'm sorry Buddy, I'm sorry that I let you down. I want to go visit him one last time, but I'm not sure if his new owners want me there. I got the feeling they feel I'm responsible... that maybe I lied about his breed and lied about his aggression. If they knew me they wouldn't think that, but if it helps to ease their pain, I'll accept the blame.
Had Buddy been that kind of aggressive... they'd have never met him, because I would have been the one to make the decision they're making today.
This evening, hug your pups.... hug them for all the good things they've ever done and hug them for Buddy. He doesn't know it yet, but he's going to a place where he can run free and get all the love he wants. Corsa bene, il mio amico, travel well.
1 comment:
you already know this, but you did the right things, you tried to find him a good fitting home. and you don't know what kind of abuse he endured as a puppy or if he was inbred too much. here's a hug to you for all the good you do and all the pups you have saved, and for Takani to also get the help he deserves and needs with his second chance.
Post a Comment