27.2.10

35 Days.... 24/7

How do you get past the self pity and the aggravation? How do you face the constantly reoccurring tasks of every day life? I found myself asking these questions to the Crazed man in the mirror this morning. That guy that looks a little like myself only he has red eyes and a pounding headache from lack of sleep and a 24/7 schedule of mad nursing duties. That was me over a week ago... I thought I had reached my boiling point. The pups were growing faster and faster and needed me more and more every hour it seemed. Steve had had his surgery and although he's educated and an extremely smart human... he's also neurotic and a baby when it comes to pain and an injury to himself. I don't want to sound mean when I say baby.... that just means he wants to be taken care of and I totally understand that.... who doesn't need coddled when they're sick. I had been taking care of him already, for 3 weeks, when it got worse..... I needed a break. Just when I thought my head would explode.... My daughter and grandson came to visit. Now, I can sense your shock..., MORE people in the house to take care of ??? A 5 yr old on top of puppies and a couch bound, steel plated moaning Myrtle!!! It was exactly what I needed.... an endless supply of hugs and conversation that didn't revolve around "do you need more drugs"! Truthfully, it gave me time to relax and get over my selfish pity. Steve had a 10 inch incision down the back of his arm with 28 staples holding it together. He had NEVER had surgery before and was... well.... terrified by the whole experience. It was up to me to keep him calm and help him recover. This past Monday the staples came out. The incision looks great... no puffiness... no infection... no bleeding. He's already started his range of motion stretches and is doing AWESOME!!! This morning, we were awake at 3am. I massaged his shoulder which was still tight and worked the taught muscles in his forearm. We got up went through a morning routine which both of us had forgotten in the past month and off he went to catch the train. Steve's been here at home with me every day since the 4th of February.... which was the day before his fall on the ice. 35 days.... 24/7 I think we're ok!!

Sitting here now I hear the train pulling out with him on it..... ... and I miss him already!

Be Careful My Friend.

1 comment:

Virginia said...

So glad to hear that Doc made it back to work after a long and scary month, and glad you were both able to be together for that time...memories you'll have forever, and more cement in the friendship and love of your partnership. Awesome news!