September 14th I made the drive to Preston County WV Animal Shelter to pick up two pregnant dogs that were part of a hoarders home where there were 70+ dogs running loose.
Schipperke Mixes they called them. All the dogs looked the same and weighed between 30 - 40 lbs. It was an inbreeding frenzy.
One of those dogs, Millie had already had her pups prematurely and they only lived 2 days.
The other dog, Rocket was very pregnant and managed to go full term and not deliver hers until the 1st of Oct.

October 1 2010, Rocket gave us 4 beautiful little babies. Three looked just like her and then there was the beautiful blond one. Two girls and two boys and they appeared to all be healthy.

Since we had named the Mama, Rocket, we thought we'd name the babies AFTER rockets.
So we had Atlas, Titan, Ares and Ariane. Atlas of course also carried the name Joe since our neighbor Joe Frost's birthday was the same day. He then became AJ.
The first couple weeks went well and then we noticed Ariane wasn't eating and losing weight.
In 4 days she was dead. She was just 4 weeks old when she left us. I thought it could be a resurface of the Giardia from earlier in the summer brought to us by the Pitbull puppy mill raid, but we were unsure.

So we medicated and bottle fed to make sure the remaining three stayed healthy and continued putting on weight.
Titan, AJ and Ares were quickly becoming fat little furballs.

Then around week 6 Titan started getting sick, so did AJ.
We were on top of it. Everything possible for two tiny little pups to keep them hydrated and thriving. AJ perked up right away, but Titan struggled and barely clung to life for the next two weeks. Sadly on the 2nd of dec at just 9 weeks old, Titan succumbed to his poor health and left us to join his sister Ariane.
Now I was really worried and pretty much took AJ and Ares off the market. I needed to know for sure they were healthy before I allowed anyone else to become attached to them.
I planned on keeping them for several more weeks while we watched and medicated and fed and coddled these two surviving pups.
AJ and Ares just had to make it.... They were too sweet to not survive.
Fifteen weeks old, AJ went to his new home. I could finally breathe relief.
He wasn't only healthy, but he was a super awesome little guy. So cute and handsome at the same time. Vaccinated and neutered and ready for his new family.
Yay Atlas Joe!!
Now to find a home for Ares. Three different adoption fell through for this sweet angel and she's getting huge now. Before long she'll be adult size!!! It'll happen though.. I know it will.
So with AJ adopted and Ares advertised, I turned my focus on Mama Rocket who by this time had healed up pretty well and was ready for spaying.
Hopefully this would take the edge off her aggressive behavior. We'd noticed her mean biting episodes with a few of the other dogs. Even the Pitbulls were afraid of her. A few times I found bite marks and all were from Rocket. She wasn't exactly the friendliest to humans either, well she was with me, but they all are. I never really thought she would be capable of what was about to take place.
January 24th i took Annie and Rocket in to have them spayed.
Rocket went rabid on the veterinary staff. She had to be caught with a pole, muzzled and quickly drugged. Her behavior was so bad and SO aggressive, I made the decision before she was spayed to have her PTS. This was just a culmination of a sad chain of events caused by the irresponsible and neglectful behavior of a hoarder.
I'm sorry Rocket, but now you're with your babies and your running free and you never have to protect your food again. Be happy and free little lady.
No comments:
Post a Comment