8.5.08
Takaani now Kahn
I know I promised to write about my trip to Chatham when I got back, but I'm still thinking it all through. Sometimes it's best to think before you talk and in this case it's best to think before I write.
I will, however, write about our latest visitor. I was going to say addition, but unfortunately he's not going to be with us for very long.
Takaani was advertised on Freecycle.org
What a horrible place for such a wonderful pup to end up. I guess it could be worse. He could be staring up the barrel of a dart gun.
Anyhow, I answered the ad and suddenly was immersed in the world of Malemutes.
Morgan was my freecycle contact and knew less about the dog than you do right now. She's the girlfriend of the brother of the owner. She gave my number to the people that actually had the dog and I was connected.
I knew nothing of this breed before and now my on-line research had filled my head with almost unbearable excitement while looking forward to meeting this unfortunate pup.
Takaani came from..... who knows where.
Takaani's owner is in the military and well ..... I really hate to say anything mean because I don't know him, but come on.... anyone thats EVER been in the military knows that a stable living environment is NOT something you can offer a pet.... ESPECIALLY if you're single. It's just the military way to let you establish a relationship, be it with an animal or human and then RIP you from it without a concern. My guess is... the puppy was cute.... the fact that he was going to be some sort of wolf-like adult, pampered the damaged ego of one of americas finest and thus began Takaanis journey.
Takaani.... again I apologize, but that name sounds so ghetto. Takaani, girl, you betta get yo ass off the street. See my point?
We've shortened his name to Kahn since its the kaan part of his name he responds to anyhow.
It sounds better and I can say it in public without feeling embarrassed or having to say, "No, it's a boy". Just to clear this up.... Takaani is eskimo for Wolf... just one more reason why I believe the original owner wasn't thinking clearly. That name is straight off any Malamute website..... he obviously did not use his imagination.
Well enough badgering someone I don't know.... We picked up Kahn from the Food Lion parking lot in Inwood WV. thats where I met Andrew his temporary parent. Andrew really liked Kahn, but he had a wife who just couldn't handle a malamute. Plus there was the issue of Kahn being crated all day long that really disturbed me.
Dash and Kahn didn't hit it off right away, but 24 hrs later they're best friends. Now my cats are a different story. Kahn seems to think he can fit all 6 of them in his mouth at one time. If he really wanted them dead... they'd all be dead... he really just likes the chase, but it's too upsetting to the normal calm I'm used to.
Because of this, we've decided Kahn will need to go to yet another home.
Here you can see one of our kitties behind him in the chair, but I have to stay on constant lookout, because should the cat move... he's on 'em.
I've written about Blaze our first boy and best friend. We still miss him and visit his memorial on Rainbows Bridge often. I was just there last week to say hi and Happy Birthday. In my search for local Malamute breeders (trying to find info on Kahn), I discovered a couple only 10 minutes from where I got Kahn, had lost their Malamute less than a month ago. Realizing how difficult it would be I offered them my sincere condolences before I told them of my situation. Were they Malamute Breeders I asked.... did they know a local Malamute breeder? No was their response, but buried in my quest for information was the completely unintentional possibility that they themselves might be interested in Kahn. Well, they met that same night, and tomorrow they'll take him home for a trial visit. If he works out, then he'll return to us sunday night to stay the week and then be theirs for keeps. They have to go out of town for 5 days and we all agree it would be less upsetting for Kahn to come here than go to a kennel.
When I visited Blazes memorial last week, I told him how we were going to meet a new puppy. Any assistance he could give us would really be appreciated, because Kahn needed our help. When Kahn wouldn't stop chasing the cats I said maybe Blaze hadn't gotten the message, and then I came across Bill and Lois's memorial to their Malamute, Kodiak.
Kodiak was Blazes name when we got him from the shelter.
I guess Blaze got the message afterall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment