28.7.08

Out Without Fear

Against our better judgement we agreed to go with our friends Chuck and Brandon to this years Gay Pride in Harrisburg PA. Not that we have anything against Harrisburg.... it just happens to be in PA and well ..... not our favorite state. Saturday morning came way too early... we got up, got ready, pulled all the windows and doors off the jeep, snatched JR out of bed and off we went. Unfortunately Brandon wouldn't be joining us because his dad was undergoing Gall Bladder surgery the same day, so it would just be Chuck. We stopped off in Greencastle, picked up Chuck and continued north. JR had asked me earlier, while we were getting gas, if this guy Chuck was a little guy or a big guy.... I asked what he meant big or little and he said little like ME or big like you and Doc. I told him big like Doc. He seemed ok with it, but something was on his mind. Anyhow, Chuck turned out to be a big hit with JR. By the time we got to Harrisburg.... they were best buds and JR insisted on taking chucks hand instead of mine when we got out of the Jeep. Now, I had only glanced at a map before we left so I really didn't know exactly how to get there. I knew if I took the first exit across the Susquehana River we wouldn't be too far from where we needed to end up. We took that exit..... a few traffic detours later we were in a line of rainbow covered vehicles complete with shrieking girls of both genders. I KNEW we were there when around this one bend in the road stood some Simple Christian Woman in her prairie dress and hair sock wearing a sign about her neck that said... "This way to Hell -> " complete with an arrow. We laughed and thanked her for the directions as we passed. I never heard a single word from her mouth and that's probably because her husband doesn't allow her to speak. He was standing further away from the traffic, on the sidewalk where it was safer, screaming obscenities at the passing cars. His ensemble was complete with bible and poster that read, "Repent Toward God". What I want to know is why did she have to stand in the hot sun right beside the road while HE got to stand in the shade, behind the safe guard rail? Was she really THAT simple? Was he really THAT dominant over her? Go Figure!! It doesn't really matter... they were both across the street from about 25 port o jons. Their type of behavior doesn't even shock me anymore. It's really just a pity that they allow religion to make them so mean. Their entire life of hatred is based on a belief system that has not one factual event to back it up. Get a spine people.... learn how to stand strong without your god and I might one day stop and listen to your dribble. So we park, for free, and were only like 3 minutes from the gate into the park... WOOHOO!!!! Then we pass this moron. Chuck was walking with JR holding his hand and "stupid-shit" says to them... "I hope your son doesn't turn out like you" . I almost popped him. Spew all the garbage you want at me because I'm so jaded nothing you could say or do would ever really bother me, but direct your piece of shit mouth to my grandson and you're mine. No lawman can help you after that. So, in the spirit of gay happiness, I simply informed him that he was MY GRANDSON and he was fucking EXACTLY like me. Then the little hatemonger started screaming all this pedophile crap like some sort of looped recording. Who prepares these dumb asses for their protests? I really need to get a video together.
"Just $19.95 and you too can become a hate filled christian. Learn the latest statistics and know exactly what to say to provoke even the most jaded of homosexuals."
I could probably retire before the idiots realized who they were buying the video from. Hmmmm?? I took his picture because one day when he wins the Darwin Award I'll be able to say I knew him when....... Most of our day was spent walking. I'm sure the river park is beautiful, but today it was littered with vendor tents and a couple thousand Pride participants. We ate some food, we ate some good ice cream, we ran into some old friends.... now when I say old... it' doesn't necessarily mean we've know them a long time!!! There was eye candy and there were eye sores. Overall the entire day never really got to any kind of party pitch. I guess it was more about being Gay in public for most of them. Out without Fear.... no need to look over your shoulder for a bat or a gun coming at you. I'm glad Chuck asked us to go. We did have a fun time and although I'm sure JR will only remember bits and pieces of the day, at least he's been exposed to another aspect of our culture. This is something I never got to do with my own three kids. Unfortunately Fathers Day was DC's Gay Pride and my Ex wife always felt it necessary to keep my children from me on that day. Steve never said anything, but here you can see the look on his face while watching the protest outside the gate. My opinion is this.... I'd rather them spew it out than keep it inside. It's the quiet haters that are the most dangerous. Fooling the world into seeing them as pious responsible community leaders, only to be hoisted into positions of power. These are the ones we need destroyed. Fortunately for us, give them enough rope and they inevitably do it themselves, but usually after so much damage has already taken place. This world through the eyes of a child is a bright wondrous world. We try to teach them right from wrong, and the older they get the more conflict they'll have with that. At least we can try to protect them from hatred. They can make their own decisions when they get old enough. Teach them to believe what they want, but that it's not OK to hate or to judge. Gay Pride, Harrisburg PA, 2008!! Will we choose to remember it for all the food and the marching band from DC and the free pencils and the colorfully dressed drag queens????? Or will we forever question why we didn't kick some stupid christian butt. JR didn't know who those protesters were or that they were even protesting. I'm sure he thought they were part of the event and he was right. They were a part of it. Without the acknowledgement we couldn't be as empowered as we were. Actually that's not true. We don't need them to know we have the right to celebrate. When are the straight people going to have their pride day?? Enough about Gay anything..... This is the first time we've been to a Gay event in years and I remember now why we stopped going. Too much drama!! Now it's the end of another week with JR. His mom n dad are here for him and he'll be going back home. As much fun as it is having him here, it still turns my routine around a little. Now I need to concentrate on getting my self back into summer mode. There are projects that need completing and projects that need starting. Next weekend we actually have NO COMPANY for the first time in awhile. Don't get me wrong.... we love the company we've had....... for the past two months, and I'm not sure what we'll do next weekend, but I guarantee you one thing... it'll be quiet.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

That woman should really take the sign and tilt it 90 degrees to the right, then she'd remember that the real road to hell is in the reproductive system of people-haters. What a shame, what a shame. They will go older and die knowing how intense it is to hate someone, and in doing so, will have forfeited much of the beauty in the people and nature all around them. Their loss!

Good that you went and had a good time, and I personally am glad you took JR with you. Any exposure to open mindedness is invaluable. I have to tell you, though, I just love drag queens, and so why didn't you take or post more pics of them! Thanks for the one you did post. Next time we go to San Francisco, I'm going to go to the Bada Bingo night. It's a fund raising night of bingo, where all the queens are dressed as nuns and they have specific rules for all the numbers of bingo. They also encourage you to wear hats. I can't think of a more fun time to play bingo than a night at Bada Bingo.

As for a straight parade, I think a more fun parade would be a "just as you are" parade, where it's all mixed up. Anyone and everyone, and all come as they are most comfortable, or as they would most like to be, which would be even more fun. Wouldn't it be fun to organize a just as you are or just as you wanna be parade?! We should all get together to plan one! Me, I'd go as a belly dancer, and not care who didn't like it, because the moves are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

That was like, the perfect summary of our day! I had more fun hanging out with J.R. and watching the protestors than I did at the actual "event."

I hope you guys have a nice, peaceful weekend! I love you!

***HUGS***

P.S. - "Let me tell you a secret... DUMB ASS!" <--That made my day!

Anonymous said...

well - if you guys are going to hell, ill be there cooking the grill..

c ya!