
One particularly hot afternoon we went to the river. Now there's
an ongoing debate over which river has the least amount of
sewage treatment facilities, but I've noticed there are fewer dead
fish floating in the Shenandoah, so that's the one we went to.
McKenna kept asking when we could go to water they could swim in.
I guess, since I DO NOT swim, I had taken for granted that kids would
enjoy splashing around in water that was only waist deep and pretty
much drown proof. In no time at all they figured out that "rapids"
meant "natural water slides"!!
We followed the river all the way to the 340 bridge and back
again. Collected rocks and bits of pottery and for some reason....
pieces of broken glass.
The rule of the river when anyone's down there with me is.....
Don't go near the grass.... that's where the snakes are!
If you can swim.... you can go wherever the hell you want to,
if not... then stay between me and the shore...... because you
won't see me in water that will drown you.
If you slip on a slimy rock....go with it....because I carry
NO ONE back home.
Overall we had a great time at the river. The girls discovered just
how cold our outside shower is when we got home. I told them they
couldn't go in all covered in river slime.... and they believed me!!!
Tina of course gave me that "I have the whip" look and
promptly went inside to shower and change.
Probably our most exhausting day involved a 3 hour hike to
Md Heights. This is the mountain across the Potomac River
which sits directly in front of our house. They had been
admiring it for several days, so I figured they'd enjoy
conquering it. I was right!!
We packed up water and sandwiches and some ice. The ice
was for many reasons. Injuries, cooling down, and if not needed
for either of those reasons.... then as it melted we could drink it.
We went up the back way which is steeper, but gets you there faster.
We hung out on the cliffs for awhile, but the girls were eager to keep
hiking, so up up up we went. Actually there's only a little more
up from where we were before we arrived at the fire road that
leads back down down down.
It's a nice hike because its mostly shaded and that early
in the day.... we only passed 3 other humans.
The following day we only hiked as far as Jefferson Rock and
the graveyard. We started out at the church ruins......
got to Jefferson Rock, and realized that no matter how hard
we pushed, it wasn't going anywhere.
There were many opportunities for sisterly moments this week, and
believe me I've got them all in pictures. Some were funny, some
were sweet, some were scary, but they were all moments I'm glad I
got to share. I just hope this isn't their last visit and I
sincerely hope this is just the beginning of generations of visits.
Saturday, the last day of their visit, was spent at the flea market.....
ugghhhhh.... HOT HOT HOT!!
On Friday however, we were treated to a free lunch
at the Quarter Master Tavern, by our neighbor Donna
who owns the restaurant. Thanks Donna!!!!
Afterwards we headed out the back door of the restaurant
to take a little walk through town and ended up at
the Old Time Photo Shop.
I really need to get out more often, because I didn't even
know it was there. Well, the cost is something you need
to be prepared for, but I have to tell you.... it's worth it.
Not only is Paula (the owner) one of the nicest shop
keepers in town, she's an excellent photographer.
She knows what she's doing with a camera. Tina, McKenna
and Jadyn picked through all the dresses before finding the
perfect ones, and after being accessorized, posed for an
incredible picture. Talking with Paula, I found out she
could use some help with advertising, so I offered to make
her a page on our website. In turn, she gave Tina her framed
photo at no cost. How nice!! I'm not sure how I can possibly
repay the joy that photo has brought, but I'll try!!
So it only took a week and Harpers Ferry turned one Big and
two little, tomboys into well mannered, posture perfect,
southern ladies.
Just imagine what it could do to the rest of down county!!!
The week came to an end.... Sunday morning with luggage piled outside I
sadly trudged up the hill to bring the van around, only to find it with a
dead battery. After only a slight delay we got them loaded..... hugs all
around..... and waived our goodbyes.
Memories can be and are created everyday, but add the necessary family
ingredient and that memory becomes timeless.
When a warm yet faded memory becomes this moment, you'll
know it's smell, it's taste, the sounds that bring a smile to
your face.
Those lazy hazy days of summer....
I thought they were something of the past, but they're not.


No comments:
Post a Comment