22.8.08

IT Happens!!

Oh sorrowful morn why must though breathe thy fiery breath upon me yet again, leaving me cowering and afraid like a small child too accustomed to the switch.

"It" happens in threes. Why are we always so aware of this phenomenon when "IT" just happens to be unfortunate shit? Do GOOD things come in threes as well, or do I need some sort of happy ass frog in an email to make that happen? Whatever the reason, I find I'm unable to prevent the threes from happening. This mornings sunrise was to many I'm sure, just like any other. To me, it was a symbolic chance to "start fresh".... .to take a breath and try it again with a smile...... to sit down for a moment and reflect on all that is good in my life. Yesterday is gone, but the news and the sadness that it brought remains in my heart. My friend Doris passed peacefully in her sleep. The day before she slipped into the coma that she would never return from, she was overheard saying how she was in Paradise. Of course Doris more than likely, had no idea where she was. I visited her just last Friday. I took her chocolate and pastries. She was asleep with the hospice nurse at her side when I walked in. When she heard my voice she woke right up and yelled DEAN!! Her sudden movement startled her nurse, because they'd been sitting so quietly!!! I couldn't stay long because the length of visits was being monitored, but I was still there and hour or more. We talked about friends and things in general, but what I remember was the look on her face when she recalled her favorite memory of Harpers Ferry..... the mornings. A blessed gift, she called them..... each one as if it were given to her personally. Another dear friend once told me how Doris loved to see me... how I always made her laugh. Well that feeling went both ways. No matter what kind of mood I might have been in, she could always make me smile. We'll all miss you Lady, travel well and Thanks for the incredible sunrise this morning. It was a treasured gift from a beautiful friend. That sad news about Doris was actually the middle of my day. It had started out with a call from Jon n Steph (at 6:25 am) telling me their two dogs (who we would be puppy sitting for) had just been sprayed by a skunk. 4-5 baths later I could still smell skunk, but it was tolerable. Beau who suffered the full effect of the pissed off skunk, has now been renamed
"Pepe Le Beau"..... the Cajun cousin to "Pepe Le Pew"
I'm sure he doesn't mind how he smells..... he probably likes it. Turk on the other hand isn't too happy with his brothers stench. Both puppy's will eventually lose that lingering odor, but for now I really should try to keep them off the furniture. My fear is that one morning I'll go out and find my OWN skunk in the live trap we're using to catch stray kitties. That drama continues as well..... we caught the big orange kitty. She's the one who thought she could chase our cats into the house. NOT!!!!! She also figured out how to use the cat door upstairs to get to the cat food.... well she doesn't live here anymore!!! She's been successfully re-homed!! Shame too, because she was actually a really sweet cat which created another moral dilemma for me. I couldn't just dismiss her. She was friendly and NOT aggressive. It took awhile, but I found her the purrfect home. So.... summing it all up.
Jon and Steph called to tell me their dogs (coming to stay with us) were sprayed by a skunk.

I had to sever an emotional umbilical cord with an unfortunate sweet stray kitty.

I received the call telling me my friend Doris has passed away.

and then.............. My daughter Cathy calls to tell me my 4 yr old grandson tested positive for Lyme Disease. Fortunately they caught it while the bite was still visible. He'll be treated and hopefully not suffer the horrible side effects. It's still a bad thing to have, because the drugs to treat Lyme Disease have their own complications. I guess the alternative to no treatment is worse, but still it's bad all around for a 4 yr old. Poor baby. Today is like I said earlier... a chance to focus on all that's good in my life. In order to level the high emotions of yesterday I can say "thank the gods it was a Skunk and not a copperhead", "That Miss Kitty found a good home", ''That I at least was fortunate to know Doris", "That the tick bite was spotted by a vigilant Mommy". Although "IT" could have done me a favor and not happened at all, "IT" could have been much worse. If "IT" insists on happening in threes I just wish "IT" would take a longer break in between visits.

No comments: