13.5.08

150th Anniversary

In 2003 Harper's Ferry sistered with Chatham Kent Ontario. Gwen Robinson, who was then the President of the Chatham Black Historical Society, and myself, who was at the time President of the Merchant Association here in HF, worked hard at convincing our two town councils to vote yes on this and we succeeded. Since that time, I've attended 3 of the 6 John Brown Seminars held in Chatham each May. May was chosen because it's the yearly anniversary of when John Brown arrived in Chatham seeking support for his planned raid on the armory here in HF. This was also the convention where a provisional constitution was written by Brown and 45 delegates who attended. Each year the list of speakers gets more and more interesting as the focus gets clearer on what goals have been set by the Heritage Center. I've been given a incredible opportunity to attend and speak at these seminars and felt even more honored this year since it was the 150th Anniversary of John Browns arrival in Chatham. I walked the streets he walked. I sat in the the chair he sat in and rested my hands on the desk that I'm sure he must have pounded his fist on. I spoke to descendants of some of the original delegates, and delivered an impassioned speech to a room almost full of familiar faces. I've been welcomed and accepted by this community as one of their own, but even more so as one of their family. I'm sure this was exactly how Brown must have felt, and why do he and I share this feeling? We share it because what Brown was fighting for was fair and equal treatment for all men and women. The fight is still the same today only we don't call it slavery anymore. I drove to Canada again this year and it's relatively a quick drive. 9.5 hours according to map quest, but this year it took me 10. The only traffic problems I had were here in MD. I really look forward to the day when people will learn how The HELL TO MERGE!! I stayed overnight outside of Toledo. I really must go back there one day and look hard for whatever reason people want to live there. I'm sure that interstate scenery is not all there is in Toledo, but YUCK!! OK, Whats worse than Toledo....... Detroit. I swear, I could feel the cancer growing in my lungs as I was driving down the highway. Customs is always fun, but I learned years ago when they ask you what your business is in Canada, DO NOT answer, "My Own". They really frown on smart-asses at the border. I usually play the race card and tell them I'm a guest speaker of the Black Historical Society of Chatham, at their annual John Brown Seminar and Ambassador between Chatham and Harper's Ferry WV, sister cities since 2003. This usually throws the guard, off guard. They hand me my passport and really mean it when they tell me to have a wonderful day. Being a redneck from WV on his way to a seminar in honor of a man who opposed slavery is a good thing!!! So I get through customs... drive through Windsor and hit their version of highway and this is what you see. It says 100/kph... that's about 60/mph, but then you see that you're in a single lane opposite a jersey wall from THIS!!! Kinda scary but at the same time exhilarating! Why, because these people know how to drive. They're doing the speed limit. What a novel idea!! Nobody thinks it necessary to ride their freaking brakes which turns into miles and miles of backed up traffic. In fact.... we were doing about 70/mph. Don't even ask me what that is in Kilometers..... maybe like 120.. who knows!! I arrived at the center around 9:30 and Gwen of course was already busy. This woman is 76 yrs old and has the drive and energy to beat any of you. Gwen swears we must be related, but I tell her we like each other too much and get along too well to be related. Another good soul that's always nice to see is Millie. I'm not sure how long her and Gwen have known each other, but I get the impression they go way back. This isn't the best pic of her, but you try to get her to stand still for a photograph.... good luck!! When I arrived at the center, Millie was the first person I saw and she didn't recognize me. Now I know I've gained another person since I quit smoking, but come on..... I couldn't have changed THAT much. After I said good morning to her three times I said how I couldn't believe I drove all the way from WV and didn't get a hug. She almost knocked me down when she realized who I was. Needless to say, I got hugs every time she saw me for the next two days. She's good people. I didn't get pics of this, but later on the same day of my arrival there was to be a story teller, Christopher Paul Curtis, arriving to entertain 245 kids in the auditorium. Now, I'm in the research center typing away on my laptop... actually I was rewriting my speech for that evenings banquet, when Gwen comes in... takes me by the hand and says, "come with me, I want to introduce you to someone" TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY FIVE CHILDREN!!!! The story teller was late and Gwen threw me to them. Just like bloody meat to a school of sharks they didn't notice me right away, so I used that opportunity and grabbed a set of bongos. Have you ever played the bongos? I haven't, but guess what.... it got their attention and as long as I kept them distracted I knew they wouldn't eat me. Now I know what it must feel like to be a comedian.... rough crowd.... I'd say so. Once I got them all to quiet down vocally and join me in my not so steady beat by tapping their feet, I set down the drums and asked. "Who here has ever been to Harper's Ferry?" 245 kids and I see three hands. The first hand I pointed to asked, "Where IS Harper's Ferry?" The second two hands...... had the same question. So I asked who here knew John Brown? They ALL raised their hands. They all broke into hysterical laughter when I said, "Wow, none of you look that old!!" Just as my running foot stopped shaking and I really started to think this group of kids wasn't really going to eat me, Mr Curtis arrived. I said goodbye... took my bow, and exited to much appreciated applause! If ever in my life I've come close to having a heart attack.. .that was the moment. I'm shocked and pleased more and more these days when I realize what people really think of me and my talents. It's nothing at all like what I believe in myself. Friday night was the banquet. I probably wouldn't be forgiven if anyone from Chatham read this, but I don't remember most of the speakers and I'm not going to cheat and look at the schedule. We listened to a minister sing, an incredible Singer astound us, a Canadian equivalent of one of our congressmen made us laugh, and a Senator, well, they're no different in Canada. Senator Donald Oliver, He's a walking success story and I'm sure a very nice man. His, hour or so, long speech although it made many points left me feeling like the most unwanted person in the room. He clearly separated Black from White and several times mentioned "The White Man" and not in a historical sense. Every speaker that evening including myself, spoke to or was spoken to by the other speakers. Mr Oliver, however looked at and walked right past me without a word. He was there, front and center, when I was introduced as guest speaker and ambassador from Harper's Ferry, WV. I guess some people are too important to speak, or maybe he remembered how I was the only person who did NOT stand after his speech. You can make your own decision, but my instinct is rarely wrong, and I willingly hope someone can prove me wrong this time. I would hate to think the new President of the Chatham-Kent Black Historical Society would support someone whose views or speeches would alienate anyone who might be a supporter themselves. Saturday, the second day of the seminar started out sunny and bright, but the clouds grew dark and the rain started to fall. Fortunately for us, we had all the sunshine we needed, already in the hall. Again, there were several speakers and today they were ALL wonderful, but alas I am at a loss as to most of their names. One speaker I do remember was Dr Edna Medford Her energy and enthusiasm surpassed her intelligence which is without question, astounding. Her knowledge of Abraham Lincoln is what placed her as a speaker, but it was her personality that won me. Such a charming kind-hearted woman. I understand why Gwen always speaks so highly of her now. After lunch there were 3 of us left to entertain the guests, and we were all three introduced at the same time in order to save time.... so we were told. I spoke first, sharing a warm welcome from Harper's Ferry and as much info as I could possibly give on next years 15oth anniversary of John Browns Raid here in HF. I ended my talk with a sincere invitation to not only come visit Harper's Ferry but to come visit ME in Harper's Ferry. I would gladly be host or tour guide to any visitor.... just give me notice!! Patricia Richardson Williams followed me. What can I possibly say about a woman with her voice. I video taped her entire performance. She portrayed Harriet Tubman and told her story as well as educated us on the history of the songs she was about to sing. Her performance was inspirational. I can not say more for fear of doing her an injustice. She had the entire room clapping and singing along. Even I couldn't help singing along and I've got the video to prove it!! The night before, after dinner was over and we were all visiting, she asked me, "Back in Harper's Ferry, do you have a regular ministry?" I smiled and told her how flattered I was that she thought I was a minister, because that was proof to me that my speech was received the way I wanted it to be. How funny... me a minister.... I guess if you replace the "M" with an "S"!!! Following the Seminar on Saturday, I walked down the street to the First Baptist Church which is where John Brown held the last of his meetings in preparation for his Raid on H.F. There are those who say Brown was insane and that was the tactic used at his trial. I for one agree with them.... he was insane.... ANY man that would have 20 children has to be out of his mind!! Other than for that reason.... the man was completely of sound mind. Slavery was wrong and he knew it long before this country would admit it. The picture below isn't that clear and it's not the whole desk, but that's because there were people standing around it. I was there though, and although the table is small and the chair almost seems spindly, the impact was the same. John Brown sat here. The man who caused a nation to take notice of one man, and Caused a nation to collide with itself.... he sat here!! I surely believe John Brown dreamed his success. I'm glad we live in a world that honors it. Leaving Chatham headed for the border, I took this shot of a serious looking storm front. Off to the right of this storm, as you can see in the picture below, was the start of one of three funnels. Right next to the tree on the left side of the pic. Of course as my luck would have it.... my camera battery died and this was all I got. My first tornado and I didn't get a pic of it. I got to drive through the hail and the pounding rain and the wind... wow the wind. Symbolism never escapes me, and a tornado touch down was a perfect ending to a whirlwind trip to Canada. Full of emotions from absolutely unwelcome to positively admired I retreated back to Harper's Ferry ready to replay my weekend of adventure. Should my tune of inclusion fade from the ears of our sister city, I have made the decision to return next May. Perhaps then they will know, without question, we want them part of our celebration. 2009 is 150 yrs since John Brown and a group of men we call his Raiders crossed the Potomac River in a drastic attempt to end slavery. They felt so strongly and knew without a doubt how wrong slavery was, that they were willing to risk their lives and most of them did. Now I ask you, next year when we commemorate these events here in Harper's Ferry, will you simply take the time to remember John Brown and what he did, or will you be here? Will you make the same trip and allow the same power that drove those men, to consume you? I, for one, will be here to represent the kind of townspeople John Brown had hoped to meet.

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Gwen and Millie look as sweet as you've always described them and their personalities, I love to know people like this! The storyteller, Christopher, is the one who wrote the book "Bud, not Buddy", which I haven't read myself yet, but understand is an excellent book. At least 5th graders think so! Now as for Senator Oliver...I want to send him a letter myself. How dare he sit in a public office, where he can effect positive changes on the culture and attitudes of Americans (not just those in the US) and more, and yet he chooses to encourage racism in such not-so-subtle messages. Deep down he must be just a scared little boy who got shunned in 7th grade by some drunken priest or something, so he feels compelled to take it out on the rest of society. How irresponsible! I'm glad you are able to look beyond his ignorance and to see the bigger picture of Chatham Kent and the lovely people there.