DANGER Hazardous Waters Ahead PFD's Life Jackets Must Be Worn Next 5 Miles Maximum Fine $500
13.9.08
Sore Butts n Puppies!!
This morning I took Roux to the vet and got her puppy shots. She's a whole 15 lbs and appears to be in good health. Dr Hough reckons she's about 10 - 12 weeks old.... closer to the 10 side. Says she'll probably max out at about 40lbs tops, which is fine by me..... the perfect size for a second dog.
I thought the rest of the day was going to be a nice relaxing saturday with the normal chasing puppies and cleaning house, but Steve decided late afternoon that we should go bike riding.
I knew he was right, but my butt is still feeling bruised from the last time we went. I really need to put a gel seat on that bike. Off we went.... down the hill and across the train bridge to the CnO Canal..... that's the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and it's almost 185 miles in length.
Well today we only traveled 8 miles of it and that was a round trip. Still, 8 miles on a bike is more than my butt wanted to ride, so the fact that we did it, AND I'm SITTING to write this must mean something. During my little bitchy fit about 4 miles into the ride I realized that maybe I actually did do some damage to my tail bone when I fell several weeks ago and that by riding the bike I've just aggravated it. Guess I'll never know, because I bitched myself right out of using it as an excuse. Basically, If I just get over the pain.... I'll tone up... lose weight and once I'm lighter I won't crush my ass as hard when I sit on the bike seat. So all said and done.... exercise is good... the old saying, "no pain no gain" once again applies.
OK, now that you're aware that I'm not ONLY a pain in the ass, but I actually HAVE a pain in the ass, I'd like to share with you the reason that no matter what discomfort I might experience along the ride..... the beauty of our surroundings makes up for it.
At Lock 36 there still stands the old lock house. In ruins of course, but beautiful all the same.
This is also the same place along the trail that the Potomac river becomes rapids and a large sign warns boaters of this fact.
Turning away from the churning water and back to the trail we suddenly found ourselves cradled by mother natures softer side. Some of the trees that line the canal are easily 50 yrs old..... most of them Sycamore.
The grass at lock 36 was particularly fine this warm summer day and Steve took full advantage of it... until he saw all the mosquitoes.
We explored this lock for awhile and glad we did, because within minutes a clamoring shouting bunch of possible boyscouts and their leaders came storming by. I'm guessing they needed to be somewhere by a certain time, because they definitely weren't taking any time to enjoy the views.
At the back of the lock, tucked in the trees and up a pretty steep hill was this joy.... Can you say Blair Witch???? We actually walked up to the house to investigate but left immediately after something HUGE crashed in the woods directly behind it. I'm sure I didn't word that well enough to describe the speed in which we departed this old house. Lets just say... there are a few large rocks that got dislodged from the hill on the way down.
Continuing down the canal we passed very few other riders which made the ride even nicer, because it's like not having to share the last piece of Apple Pie. You sort of feel selfish, but at the same time you just don't care... all the while smiling like your bike helmet is worn for more than bike rides. We came across many cool and interesting sites, but this mushroom I just had to share. I'm pretty positive this is a Maitake or Hen of the Woods Mushroom. If I had been more positive of it's identity, we'd be eating it for dinner.
Well, that's our bike ride. Saturday turned out pretty good!! We managed to get a few things done and did it all with sore butts and puppies. That has to count for something!!
Tomorrow we're playing Renaissance with Jon and Steph. We were suppose to go see the Highland Games at Ren Fair, but canceled because it's such a long drive and besides we have those darn puppies that need tending to. :) Instead we're having our own turkey legs and Steve's gonna wear his kilt for the occasion.
Wish us luck and wish us a little sunshine. There'll be four adults and 5 dogs in the house if it rains and although we'll be fine, it would still be nice to go out and not come back in wet!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment